What's with Minalungao? 🌊🌊

Written March 4, 2018
(Published just today because Blogger had been under maintenance for months)

Since my Tito will be out of the country for work, our family wanted to have our last hurrah of gala with him. We were thinking of budget-friendly destinations and since the Sunflower Maze was still closed by today, we decided we can go to Minalungao National Park in General Tinio, Nueva Ecija.

We all know that it's a common tradition for some Filipinos to avoid going out before graduation rites. Since Giea and I are graduating, we were skeptical if we will really come. Despite of "mermaid showing up" rumors (elaborated below), we ended up going because we need to relieve stress from school and upcoming finals exam. Well, we did not regret it because Minalungao is such a view.

🧜‍♀️🧜‍♂️ ***MERMAID RUMORS*** ðŸ§œ‍♀️🧜‍♂️
My Tita and cousins are from Nueva Ecija. According to them, there are rumors about Minalungao that there are mermaids showing up (will show up commonly when you are at the hanging bridge). 
As for me, I passed by the hanging bridge and saw nothing haha.  There were really a lot of people that day so idk. One tip for us is that when we see something, DO NOT talk about it while you are in Minalungao. But hey, rumors are rumors for a reason. Or we could say, if there's a smoke, there's a fire. Nonetheless, we should all take care of ourselves because Minalungao current is strong underneath and the rocks can be very sharp. Also, we should take care of our belongings because my Tita knew one family who lost their things there. 


Back to the blog, phew, that was crazy haha. Anyways, we left Malolos at three in the morning. I just slept throughout the trip but it was not that bumpy until you reach the Minalungao itself. 


my walking-on-sunshine but not-so-flattering pose haha

 En route to Minalungao -SCENIC. 


We reached Minalungao National Park at around 7:00am. By that time, there are already a lot of people and parked cars. At the gate, you will immediately pay for the ticket for P100 each. Driver and kids ages 10 and below are exempted.  


After parking your car across the road (with bantay, P50), you will see this view. When I got at this point, I was like "ay eto na yun?". Hence, we continued and saw that there are a lot of people waiting for the balsa operators to come. 



The faaaam!


 Every one is required to wear lifevest (free for 8 people who will ride a balsa, or you can rent one for P25) 


My advice to those going to Minalungao: if you're going to ride a balsa. go early and pick a balsa at the edge (the one which is likely to roam first) because it is a MUST to experience roaming around the Penaranda River without the other balsas in the way.

 First come, first to deparrttt. 

Long time, no ootd :o 
luv my bell sleeves :3

Morning fog courtesy of Penaranda River

 What's with Minalungao? Emerald-green water!!!!! 
This is what I miss the most- the clear and cool water of Minalungao. The water is refreshingly cold, enough to take your stress away. It is waist-deep for a 5''1-tall like me haha.  The current underneath is strong, strong enough that no one can swim peacefully haha. You can just enjoy dipping while holding on to the edges of balsas, because if not, the current will take you. 

This is how it looks like when you are the first to board a balsa. A balsa costs P700 for 4 hours every weekend. But for weekdays, you can board it for the same price the whole day.


 The picture doesn't give justice to the beauty of Minalungao. You have to see it for yourself. Want to relieve stress even though I've said it a couple of times? Go to Minalungao!

Us struggling to fight Penaranda's current haha

The balsas are operated like this ^ (the trip is brief, lasts about 5 minutes) and then docked beside the stone formations for 4 hours, enough time to enjoy the clear waters.



How it looks like when it hits 9:00am haha. The balsas are docked side by side, paving the way for people to go to stone formations by passing through other balsas. We saw a lot of balsas almost submerged in water because of overloading when other tourists pass by haha. A balsa can accomodate 8 people when moving. 


Since my cousin and sibs are adventurous, they found a way to enjoy the current of Minalungao. They made me trek rocky stone formations for us to reach the visible end of Minalungao and made me jump to the river as the current takes us to where our balsa is. It was fun haha. If we didn't do that, I doubt it if I will ever blog about Minalungao haha. You just have to be careful of some sharp rocks. Even if I don't have pictures about that, it's still fresh how happy we were when the current takes us and how we panic when we, four, are sent by the current apart haha. After that, they made me climb a certain tall rock formation and made me jump. IT WAS CRAZY, so crazy I will not repeat such activity haha jk. Other tourists are looking at us because it took sooooo long before Andrei and I could jump hahahahahahaha! #scaredofheightsfeels. That certain rock formation has sharp edges that made it so scary to jump, but if you want to go cliff-diving, Minalungao has other spots to do so. Just watch other tourists and cop what they are doing in order to fully enjoy your trip haha. 


After showering, which has become quite difficult because the showers have minimal water supply, we then passed by the hanging bridge by which my eyes were closed 80% of the walk haha. After passing the bridge, you can go to the 1,000 steps where there is a grotto on top, but we didn't continue. The only way back is by passing the hanging bridge AGAIN. So you can imagine me almost curled up and gripping my cousin's arm real tight just to find out my other relatives didn't continue. Hay. haha

 Us by 12:00pm
We roam around the park. My relatives pursued to go to the caves (pictured below) but my mom and I didn't come. All we did was sat on the rock formations as the fresh air of Gen. Tinio blew us away. 


trek trek trek

cave pic taken by my sis


After all that, we ate at a restaurant inside Minalungao. It was the only restaurant inside the park. It serves lutong-bahay (P75 per viand or more). You can also bring your own food, ihaw-ihaw and beverages. If we were to go back, that is one thing we will do. Set up ihaw-ihaw beside the rock formations. Nonetheless, this spontaneous trip was amazing. My tips will be: go early, dock early, change to your swimwear before boarding the balsa so you can dip your feet or even lie down the  balsa, bring foods (ihaw-ihaw!!), bring your water-ready tsinelas (w/c I forgot, thank God it's easier to maneuver the balsa on bare feet), and bring along with you your adventurous-ness, or else you will end up unamused with Minalungao.

Last note for this blog, when you go, take your waste with you. We were all saying how clean the water is in Minalungao.  No cups, no straws, no wrappers. Let's keep it that way. :) 

For any questions, which my pre-Minalungao self wanted to ask, you guys can message me or leave a comment anytime :) Visit Minalungao, guys! It's a must! The hidden gem of Nueva Ecija. 



All the love,

Gellibels  ðŸ˜„


Popular Posts